My Blog List

Monday, June 27, 2011

There Ain't No Cure For The Summertime Blues...

As I sit here , in what is officially Summer, and listen to the rain outside the back porch..Come On! This is Washington State..Why do you think the Cullins Live here ( sorry for the Eclipse reference...really)I'm thinking there is SO much to say. Jerri and I went to the Fremont Solstice parade ( in the rain) and got to see the Naked/painted bike riders..an adventure that is now in my "Bucket List"..the riding painted that is. We went to a very nice Party that was celebrating the 44th wedding anniversary of a fella that works at Jerri's station...I thought I was back in 1967..and this is not a slam in any way, shape, or form. I was alive in 1967 and there was a certain feeling," Groovy", perhaps? that existed then. This Party had that feel to it. Lots of Music. Anyone who wanted to could get up on the brand new-built stage and "Jam"...ah, The good Old days. Jerri having not been born yet relied on me as a sort of Guide to the event...since I wasn't "Stoned" I did my best to describe what is for the most part indescribable even for those of us who were around back then. But, that is not what I want to talk about. I had a Nephew, his name was Jim ( I called him Jimmy) and he died a month ago. He was Jerri's age. I was married to Janet ( The Ex-Wife) for 25 years and since my Family is all back East, this was my Family for all those years. I really liked them and always felt they accepted me and liked me in return, but since the divorce ( I want to say here the only reason I know how to spell "Divorce" is because of the Tammy Wynette song, which I played 10,000 times during my Radio Career) I have not seen any of these people, or had any contact with them. So there was that....and Jerri said she would come with me to support me in this "Uncomfortable" situation, we would go as a couple..a Team, and do this together. The Family was going to meet the "Other Women" Jimmy had a Ton of friends and the VFW Hall was packed which was a good thing I feel. And what happened, happened...the People I loved the most, accepted me as if time never passed and accepted Jerri, because they knew I was happy and that she was the best "Thing" for me ( or I'd like to think they thought that way). Those who do not have a clue that life is short ( and at an event such as this, makes you wonder)and that there is no time to waste on past stuff that you cannot change...friendly?...not so much. I did get to see "My Boys" though...I'm not really their Dad but I have always felt they were..and I loved them as though they were my own..and we met a new GrandBaby to boot. It was a very bittersweet afternoon. But I'm glad I went, and glad Jerri went with me, and glad it's behind me. There was a wise old Guy, Herb Lehman..the father of my first wife, who said there was an expression in the "speak-easy" days of 1929, "When the wagon comes, they all bums"...meaning if the joint got busted it didn't matter who you where or what you did..the Police we're taking you in. Kinda like death..it "don't matter who you are, or where you're from"..it comes for you...all you can try to do is live the best life you can, love as best as you can.....and try not to pick your nose in Public. That's all folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment