My Blog List

Friday, March 25, 2011

Tomorrow is My "Special Day!"

So I was driving into work today and I thought "Jesus H. Busciuts and Gravy! I'm almost another year older!" The notion I'm working under is that we have a finite amount of birthdays we are handed us and I was about to use another one up. I remember when I was in first grade and just beginning to feel out this notion of time and lifespan and how it all pertained to me in the Grand Scheme of things when Mrs. Cornblew ( no shit, that was her name..it's no wonder she taught first graders), went around the classroom and told each of us how old we would be in the year 2000. This was 1955 and I was to be 51 in the new millennium she told me. I recall thinking," Fifty Fuckin' One!?!"( well, maybe not in those exact words),"I'll never live that long! That is SO far away I can't even begin to comprehend what this woman in front of the class is talkin' about!" I remember feeling that it was so distant, like one of those stars who's light takes a million, bazillion years to travel the universe and reach earth, this was just something to,...well,..not worry about, and put this information someplace way back in my brain as to not be concerned with, because it really would never happen. But, and isn't there always a but, it has happened. And here I am on the eve of crossing the 62nd birthday..Sum Bitch! People say, "I didn't think you were that old", and I certainly don't feel that old, but...it is what it is. But you know, I'm really happy and I guess if you can honestly say that as each birthday goes by, age really doesn't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment